We all believe that whole grains are really a healthy source of food. In modern world, there are a lot of risks involved in consuming whole grains. Whole grains are good or bad for our health depending on the way they are prepared especially by fermentation.
Traditional way of producing whole grains
Since olden times, the whole grains were fermented so that they get easily digested and the vitamins and minerals get absorbed in a good manner by our body.
Modern way of producing whole grains
The modern method of producing whole grains results in a lot of health hazards to our body. There are a lot of practices that are being followed like spraying of pesticides, milling at high temperatures, storing the grains for a long period, etc which are reasons for producing ill-effects to our body health.
Health Hazards due to modern way of producing whole grains
- Milling at high temperature causes the fatty acids contained in them to get spoiled.
- Phytic acid, an antinutrient gets deposited in our intestinal tracts. The property of Phytic Acid is to prevent nutrients like iron, copper, calcium, magnesium, zinc, etc from getting absorbed by the body. Phytic acid also prevents the absorption of calcium. This increase the risk factor bone-related problems like osteoporosis.
- Mineral deficiency in our body
- Enzyme inhibitors, another form of antinutrients cause irritation to pancreas and digestive system
- Digestive disorders, allergies, Chron’s disease, celiac disease, etc
- It would cause an astronomical increase in insulin production in the body.
- Increased consumption of whole grains would result in infertility and impotence. The testicle size tends to be inversely proportional to grain consumption i.e the more you consume, the smaller the size.
Are whole grains really healthy?
It is believed that all sorts of grains are not suitable for our body and need to be avoided completely.
What should we do?
- We need to consume organic whole grains as far as possible. This would make sure that the grains are easily digested and the nutrients get easily absorbed by our body.
- It is better to prepare flour from them by grinding them at home rather than buying flour from shops. Grains are good to be consumed with Vitamins A and D. Hence you can take the whole grains with cheese, butter or cream.
- It is better to consume sprouted grains since it increases the content of many important vitamins and breaks down the phytic acid.