When our body reacts in an unfamiliar manner to common substances, we are said to face allergic problems. Many of us face such problems in our day to day life. When faced with allergies, it causes many problems and interferes with our daily lives.
You can try the Natural remedies mentioned in my previous article, “Natural remedies for allergies”. After having tried such methods, if you have not found yourself out of it, you can try taking some herbal remedies for treating the same. Let us see some of the common and effective herbs below:
Herbal Remedies for Allergies
Butterbur or Petasites hybridus
Butterbur is a common herbal medicine with Botanical name as Petasites hybridus. This herb is very effective in treating various allergies. The herb has the capacity to block some chemicals which cause swelling in nasal passages due to allergies. The root of this herb is used as the medicine. Note that it should not be consumed in raw form. You can buy this medicine from the market and note if they are marked as “UPA free”. The herb has the side effect of not causing sleepiness.
Pineapple is a very effective herbal medicine that can be used for treating allergy. Bromelain is a chemical compound that is found in the stem of the pineapple fruit which serves as medicine. Bromelain can be used to cure swelling of nose that is caused due to inflammation, sinus problems, hay fever, swelling of bowels, ulcers, etc.
Stinging Nettle is an herbal medicine that can be used as home remedy for allergies. The botanical name is Urtica dioica. This herb has the capability to cure allergies in the skin like rashes, etc. It also has the power to cure teary eyes and running nose. The herb can be used as tea and consumed twice per day. The leaves of the herb can also be dried and consumed on a daily basis.
Fish oil is a good supplement for getting relieved of allergies due to Asthma.
Timothy-grass, also called as Phleum pretense (botanical name is Phleum pretense) is a perennial grass that can be used as medicine for treating allergies. The herb is effective in treating irritation of eyes, asthma problems, hay fever, etc.
Guduchi or Tinospora cordifolia
The common names of Tinospora cordifolia include Guduchi or Gurcha or Amrutha or Giloy. This is an herbal medicine widely found in India. There are various herbal tablets available in India made from this herb. This is very effective in treating allergies like sneezing, nasal discharge and itching.
Additional Medicines used as Natural Remedies for Allergies
Apart from the above mentioned herbal medicines, following are also used for treating allergies:
Grape seed extract, Honey, Vitamin C, Goldenseal, Spirulina, probiotics, etc
Following are some additional herbs that cure allergies:
- Angelica Sinensis: Also called as Dong quai, Don Qui, Dang Quai, etc it is used as an anti-inflammatory agent
- Achillea millefolium: Also called as Yarrow, herbal militaris, Sneezewort, Soldier’s friend, etc, it is used to reduce secretions and congestion
- Euphrasia officinalis: Also called as Eyebright, Eyewort, Drug Eyebright, Eufragia, etc, it is also used to reduce secretions and congestion. Also used to treat eye irritation, sneezing, etc
- Trifolium pretense: Also called as Red clover, Beebread, Cow Clover, Cow Grass, Meadow, etc, it increases the body immunity to allergies
- Silybum Marianum: Also called as Milk thistle, Marian Thistle, Mary Thistle, etc, it cures inflammation and allergies
- Gingko Biloba: Commonly called as Gingko, it is used as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent.