Know about Peptic Ulcer
What is Peptic Ulcer?
Peptic ulcer, often called as stomach ulcers or gastric ulcers are caused due to a break of tissue lining in the stomach. They result as a result of sores that arise in the lining of stomach or esophagus or small intestine.
The break or sores are caused due to infection by Helicobacter pylori bacterium. The bacterium causes indigestion and dyspepsia.
Symptoms of Peptic Ulcers
Following are some of the symptoms experienced by those suffering from Peptic Ulcers.
- Pain in the stomach (below ribcage) – the pain often occurs in upper part of the stomach. Sometimes the pain is more severe at night.
- Loss of appetite
- Hunger even after eating – Even after 2 hours of consuming food, you would feel empty and hungry.
- Head ache
- Loss of weight
If peptic ulcers become acute, following symptoms occur:
- Vomiting with presence of blood
- Blood flow along with stools – The stools are dark or black in colour. This indicates that blood has been discharged as part of stools.
- Symptoms of anemia due to loss of blood because of internal bleeding
Foods and Habits that aggravate peptic Ulcers
Those suffering from stomach ulcers need to keep away from certain habits. Some of them are explained below:
- Do not smoke – Cigarettes aggravate the condition of stomach ulcers
- Alcohol – Alcohol increases the presence of Helicobacter pylori bacterium and makes the stomach ulcer worse.
- Some of the medicines like Aspirin
- Stress increases stomach ulcers
- Drinking Milk – You may wonder how milk aggravates stomach ulcers. Drinking milk acts as a temporary relief. But it actually worsens the stomach or peptic ulcers of the stomach. Milk stimulates the production of stomach acid which aggravates the ulcers.
Natural Home Remedies for Stomach and Peptic Ulcers
Bananas have the power of curing stomach ulcers. The green variety of the bananas is the most effective in curing the ulcers. Such bananas have the ability to kill the poisonous substances present in the stomach and intestine lining which cause the ulcers. They also cure the breaks of lining present in the digestive portion of the body.
You need to consume at least one green banana on a daily basis in a regular manner.
Ladies finger Seeds
Ladies finger seeds are very effective in curing peptic ulcers. Boil the ladies finger seeds in Kanchi (the residual water left after boiling rice). Consume the Kanchi. The stomach ulcers get cured very soon. It also cures the irritation that is caused when passing urine.
Many people cook rice by boiling in drinking water. Some people filter the water and consume the rice alone. Some people consume both the rice and water separately. This water is called as Kanchi.
Olive oil is a great medicine in curing stomach ulcers. About half an hour before consuming food, consume about half an ounce of olive oil. Olive oil has the capability of preventing fatty deposits that occur in the veins and arteries of the body. This includes the stomach and intestines.
Avoid Spicy Food
Those experiencing peptic ulcers often get wounds or ulcers in the mouth. Such people need to avoid spicy foods. It’s better to prepare foods which are less spicy in nature.
Coconuts are good for healing stomach ulcers and mouth ulcers. You can consume slices of raw coconut directly. They act as a good medicine.
Nutmeg or Jaathikai
Nutmeg is a very effective and good medicine for curing peptic ulcers. Slice the nutmeg into small pieces. Roast them in a small quantity of ghee. Nutmeg is very effective in treating loose motions or dysentery.
Tender coconut water is a good remedy and medicine for treating stomach related ulcers and wounds.
Honey is a very effective medicine in treating peptic ulcers. Immerse one or 2 spoons of honey in warm water and mix it. You can consume this honey water. You can also wash your mouth with this water. It is a good medicine for stomach ulcer. It also kills all the bacteria in the mouth and is good for protecting the enamel in the tooth.
Liquid juices are good for the digestive system. They include curd, buttermilk, etc