What is Bloating?
Bloating is a very common problem which every one of us have / would be facing atleast in some part of our lives. It is caused by the buildup of gas in the stomach. Here are some natural remedies that can be used to cure bloating.
Common Causes of Bloating
Some of the main reasons which cause bloating are:
- Eating of heavy meals
- Consume foods rich in fat – Fatty foods take a longer time to digest and tend to cause bloating.
- Eating in a fast manner – causes you to overeat and reduces the power of digestion
- Indigestion and acid reflux – if your digestive power is low and often face acid reflux problems, then you are more likely to get bloated.
- Pregnancy – if you are pregnant, there are a lot of hormonal changes that occur in the body, reducing the power of digestion and increasing the chance of bloating.
Foods to avoid when you have bloating problem
Following are the foods that need to be avoided whenever you have a bloating problem:
- Aerated drinks
- Beverages containing sugar or salt
- Packed Foods
- Foods that produce excess gas – these include beans, peas, kidney beans, black beans, etc
- Fibrous fruits and vegetables – like cabbage, broccoli, etc
- Dairy products – milk and milks related sweets, cheese, ice-cream, etc
- Excess Salt
- Fast Food
- Fried Items
- Sugar Substitutes
- Avoid consumed cold foodstuff
Natural and Home Remedies for Bloating
Eat only when hungry
Most of us have the habit of eating at a particular time for either breakfast or lunch or dinner. Whether we feel hungry or not, we just gulp food. This is not a good habit. While it is good to consume food at regular time, it is also equally important that you should be feeling hungry before eating. Make sure that you consume only half stomach full or a suitable quantity such that you feel hungry for the next meal.
Lie down on your back. Massage your stomach in circles. Do this for about 10 to 15 minutes. You can feel the immediate relief if your bloating is in a very preliminary stage. Remember that your back needs to be straight while doing the massage.
Exercise brings a great relief for bloating. You can have a vigorous walking or swimming or riding. This will bring great relief.
Chewing of Food
Though a very basic one, it is necessary that you chew your food completely before swallowing. This is often neglected in our fast paced world. Take time to have your food, relax and chew completely whenever you have breakfast or meals or dinner.
Consume plenty of water
Water is good for the body. Try to consume lots of water. Especially when you feel bloated, drink more water. This will cure the bloating immediately in an hour or two.
Yogurt is a good medicine for getting rid of bloating. It contains some useful yeast which enhances the digestion process and prevents bloating.
Natural Foods as medicine
Vegetables and fruits such as spinach, tomatoes, nuts, mangoes and bananas are good foods that cure bloating problems.
Avoid eating fruits before and after meals
Eating fruits just before a meal causes gas to be formed in the stomach resulting in bloating. The same happens if you consume fruits immediately after food. Make it a habit that you leave a gap of one hour either before meals or after meals, for taking fruits.
Consume any liquids half an hour after food
Do not drink water immediately after having food. Also, do not drink water while having food. Consuming water immediately after having food prevents the digestive juices from getting secreted and reduces the power of digestion. Consume water only after 15 to 20 minutes after having food. This is a very good habit and a good remedy to be practiced.